Friday, September 15, 2006

Boys? Men?


My friends say I like controversy. Well, I don't know but I sure like to deviate from the normal.

I really did not know the difference between these two till much later in my life. Don't laugh at me, I'm sure some of you still mix both up (what's the difference anyway?). I watched a nice debate a little while ago. An undergraduate male of roughly 22 years screaming it down the throat of a colleague that he's a man and not a boy. To me, he's neither of both, he's a kid.

Now, does age separate both? Candidly, I'll say no, you're free to think otherwise. For you to assert so noisily that you are a man simply means you are not one. I have no grudge with the ale folk, nah nah, but I have problems with them wanting to be both boys and men and most annoying, being boys when they ought to be men.

A boy doesn't just want to take revenge. A man's mature both in mind and body. He may be young but he thinks and talks deep. And a man, a true man cries. My pain with men crying? You can't blame me. I'm the only girl in the house and I hate to see my dear brothers stiffle issues when they could bury their heads in their pillows and have a good cry over it. I also have a great number of male friends too. I'm not asking you to go in the public and let the tears run loose but in your privacy, let off a little more heat. Infact, a true boy hollers off in public.

A true man releases the tears and comes out to face the world with a better determination to lead and take things in his own hands.

I pray my first child is a son so I can teach him to be a man indeed. I'll tell him never to be rude to the female folk, never raise his voice on her, neither his hand, watch his words with her and on her and be careful not to hurt her feelings. I'll teach him to be tender, yet firm, loving yet a disciplinarian. I'll teach him to take charge of his emotions and to be shield indeed for all ladies that come into his life. I'll teach him never to toy with a lady's emotions or heart and be true to one and only one. He would carefully assert his manliness, quietly, without force os harshness. He would be a MAN indeed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

U spoke the truth. The world is fast changing and the true duty of men seems to be waning. We need men who will be bold to be true men. Thanks for this piece, it is a good one.
Ayo Oladejo

Anonymous said...

U spoke the truth. The world is fast changing and the true duty of men seems to be waning. We need men who will be bold to be true men. Thanks for this piece, it is a good one.
Ayo Oladejo