Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Do you see the future?


I believe the children are our future
Teach them well and let them lead the way
Show them al the beauty they possess inside
Give them a sense of pride to make it easier
Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be

Everyone is looking for a hero
People need someone to look up to
I never found anyone who fulfil my needs
A lonely place to be
So I learnt to depend on me

These are the first verses of Whitney Houston's Greatest love of all. This song tells me alot about these lil kids we see everyday and just pass as 'the kid next door'. Let me ask this question. Can you count how many 'kids next door' you know who have risen to be world figures? Even if they have grown to be international figures yet, at least folks who have become national figures? People you look at and you just remember those times you used to play together in the sand and on the street? And you wonder, what happened?

What happened was that someone saw a future in that kid and helped him get there. Even if the idea was conceived in his head, he had someone at least who helped him rise. Picture this, the president of Nigeria in a few years from now is reaing his appreciation speech and while mentioning names he cannot forget in his rise to what he is, your name is heard. How would you feel?

There is a 'little' star out there who is waiting for his hand to be pulled up. He wants to leave that sitting position and stand in that place where his peers have only dreamed about. He wants to read his speech on that day when his invention and effort is recognized internationally and proudly call your name for an international standing ovation. I'm almost tempted to put on a global page the names of those who have contributed to making me who I am today but I feel I would be cheating some people of adding their contribution. So, as strong as the temptation is, I refuse to fall for it. I'll do my 'thank yous' soon anyway.

You know what would add an eternal star to your name? Seeing the future in that little one who you see or pass or even know about. Do you see the future? I see it.

No comments: