Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Nollywood? Hollywood?

Tonight, I was talking with a new acquaintance and we dwelt majorly on Nollywood in comparison to Hollywood and Bollywood and I was disheartened at the way the guy talked. He blamed the 'poor' quality of Nollywood films on different people. First he said it was the producers, then the script writers, then the viewers themselves and finally the government or leadership as he put it.

Wait na, why is it that we always blame other people when problems arise? WHy don't we look inwards? Why must someone or some institution always be responsible for our problems? This person in question watches more of Hollywood to Nollywood o and he complains about an industry he's lost touch with o. When will we begin to see the Nigerian situation as ours? By the way, this fellow says he believes in the New Nigeria, yet he stocks Hollywood films. I'm not against Hollywood but when someone praises it above Nollywood, a Nigerian for that matter, it touches my Nigerian heart.

Whether in politics, entertainment, religion, sports, whatever...let us all as Nigerians take respponsibility for our shortcomings and together lift up our country. Her success is our success and her failure is our failure.

Arise O compatriots!

2 comments:

Beaman said...

I'd never heard of Nollywood before I read your post. I will do some research on it and try and watch some of the films. Thanks for the tip.:)
I'm a big fan of International Films.

Treasure said...

I agree with you on the issue of "ownership" of our challenges. We need to believe in ourselves as Nigerians. We have been "brainwashed" for too long that as long as it is not nigerian,the quality has to be better than the naija version. I don't subscribe to that school of thought. I believe every culture, tribe and nation of the world are different and has something positive to contribute to this global village of ours. I watch lots of naija movies and I would say we can improve in many areas. However, we cannot replace nollywood with hollywood. Hollywood does not and will not educate people of our nigerian culture and vice versa. We need to be proud of our own and stop using hollywood as the one and only standard. We should embrace our uniqueness and strive to be better in all areas.